The Manufacture of Advanced Key Energy Infrastructure Technologies (MAKE IT) Prize through the American-Made Challenges will offer approximately $30 million in total funding to catalyze domestic manufacturing of critical clean energy technology components, moving manufacturing facilities from planning to shovel-ready and enabling strategies for vibrant manufacturing activity in communities.
The MAKE IT Prize is structured in two tracks: the Facilities Track and the Strategies Track (outlined below).
As Power Connectors on the MAKE IT Prize, CEBN and yet2 will be providing support to applicants on both tracks through October 18.
The Facilities Track accelerates clean energy technology manufacturing plant development and helps support establishing a robust, secure domestic supply chain for components deemed critical for the commercialization of clean energy technologies. This track invites U.S.-based entities with demonstrated commitment and capabilities in domestic manufacturing to complete and submit the work necessary for a shovel-ready manufacturing facility for specific clean energy technology components. Eligible components include:
- Manufacturing and/or recycling of components for production, processing, delivery, and storage, of clean hydrogen and/or hydrogen fuel cells.
- Manufacturing of components related to electric grid upgrades and long-duration energy storage.
- Manufacturing of components related to carbon capture and storage.
- Phase 1: Scope – Up to 12 winners will receive $500,000 each
- Phase 2: Shovel-Ready – Up to 4 winners will receive $4,500,000 each
- February 1, 2024 – Statement of Intent Deadline
- May 1, 2024 – Phase 1: Scope Deadline
Phase 2: Shovel-Ready
- August 2024 – First Opportunity to Submit
- November 2024 – Second Opportunity to Submit
- February 2025 – Third Opportunity to Submit
- May 2025 – Fourth Opportunity to Submit
The Strategies Track aims to help build interest and engagement around manufacturing clean energy technologies and expand the potential for more clean energy jobs and economic opportunity. In this track, competitors will be asked to develop a roadmap to establishing clean energy manufacturing in their region and secure a letter of commitment from an entity interested in establishing a facility in their region. The Strategies Track is open to teams working to promote manufacturing activity development in their regions.
Awards will be split across both Round 1 and Round 2.
- Phase 1: Engage – Up to 30 winners will receive $50,000 each
- Phase 2: Create – Up to 20 winners will receive $100,000 each
- Phase 3: Activate – Up to 8 winners will receive $250,000 each
- August 17, 2023 – Informational Webinar (Recording)
- October 18, 2023 – Phase 1: Engage Submission Deadline
- May 2024 – Phase 2: Create Submission Deadline
- November 2024 – Phase 3: Activate Submission Deadline
- February 15, 2024 – Phase 1: Engage Submission Deadline
- November 2024 – Phase 2: Create Submission Deadline
- May 2024 – Phase 3: Activate Submission Deadline