The Small Business Innovation Research/Small Business Technology Transfer (SBIR/STTR), known as “America’s Seed Fund,” provides nondilutive grants to small businesses to help them develop and commercialize technology innovations. Are you working on your application for the Department of Energy’s latest SBIR/STTR release, or considering applying? In collaboration with the American-Made Program, Power Connectors may support DOE by providing recruitment, outreach, mentorship, and training to help new and existing applicants succeed across the continuum of DOE-funded innovation programs. Check out the water and solar resources!
See below for a list of upcoming events and past event recordings specifically related to this solicitation.
Please note that the current DOE SBIR/STTR solicitation (FY23 Phase 1 Release 2) is closed. Applications were due by Thursday, February 23, 2023. Award notifications are tentatively scheduled to be sent on May 15, 2023.
Upcoming SBIR Events
Past SBIR Events
- SETO SBIR/STTR Topics Webinar – The Solar Energy Technologies Office hosted a webinar on the solar-focused topics/sub-topics for this SBIR/STTR release. Watch the recording here; password “9fZV3g3p.”
- WPTO SBIR/STTR Topics Webinar – The Water Power Technologies Office hosted a webinar on the waterpower-focused topics/sub-topics in the Nov. 7 SBIR/STTR release. The recording will be available here.
- DOE Topics Webinar 1 – Hear from Topic Managers on the Cybersecurity, Energy, Security, and Emergency Response (CESER); Defense Nuclear Nonproliferation (NNSA); Electricity (OE); Environmental Management (EM); and Fossil Energy and Carbon Management (FECM) topics 1-9 and 22-28. Watch recording and download slides.
- DOE Topics Webinar 2 – Get insight into the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) topics 10-21. EERE includes the Solar Energy Technologies Office, Water Power Technologies Office, and others. Watch recording and download slides.
- DOE Topics Webinar 3 – Hear from Topic Managers for insight into the Fusion Energy Sciences (FES), High Energy Physics (HEP), and Nuclear Energy (NE) topics 29-41. Watch recording and download slides.
- Funding Opportunity Announcement Webinar – The Dept. of Energy hosted a webinar regarding the FOA release. Watch recording and download slides.
Power Connector Webinars
- Gearing up for SBIR: A Prep Session for First-Time SBIR Applicants – CEBN hosted office hours on how to make the most of available resources, the timeline of the application, and steps you can take now to start a successful application. Watch the recording.
- Programs and Resources Available to Applicants – UACI hosted a workshop about how to apply for funding through the SBIR/STTR program and to review the current topics and the resources available to first time applicants. Watch the recording.
- Justice40 and SBIR: Resources for Underrepresented Founders – CEBN hosted office hours focused on the connection between SBIR and Justice40, resources available for first-time applicants and underrepresented founders, and other opportunities for funding. Watch the recording.
- Finding the Right Topics: SBIR/STTR Workshop – UACI hosted a workshop about the current topics and how to choose the topic that fits your innovation. Watch the recording.
- Overview of the FOA and Preparing your LOI – UACI hosted a workshop to review the current Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) and explain how to prepare a responsive Letter of Intent (LOI). Watch the recording.
- Writing Your Proposal & Evaluation Criteria – UACI hosted a workshop about proposal writing, including information about budgeting time, addressing proposal requirements, independent proofing and a review of the evaluation criteria. Watch the recording.
- Why Apply to DOE SBIR/STTR Funding Opportunities? Hosted by Entrepreneur Futures Network (EFN). Watch the recording.
- Getting Ready to Apply to DOE SBIR/STTR Funding Opportunities. Hosted by Entrepreneur Futures Network (EFN). Watch the recording.
- SETO and WPTO SBIR Opportunity Overview – ADL Ventures. Watch the recording.
- DOE SBIR Topics and LOI Elements – New Mexico State University Arrowhead Center (NMSU)
- New Mexico Innovation Summit – hosted by NMSU
- Ready, Set, Submit! SBIR Letter of Intent Office Hours – CEBN hosted office hours ahead of the LOI deadline providing an overview of how and where to submit and what resources are available. Watch the recording.
- Fundamentals of Application Process: SETO and WPTO SBIR – ADL Ventures. Watch the recording.
- Commercialization Workshop: Product Market Fit – UACI – Watch the recording.
- Commercialization Workshop: Business Basics – UACI
- DOE SBIR Proposal Elements– NMSU
- Hydropower Grant Informational Webinar – ADL Ventures. Watch the recording.
- Commercialization Workshop: Operational Experience – UACI
- Commercialization Workshop: Funding Strategy – UACI
- SBIR Office Hours: Getting Ready to Submit – CEBN – Watch the recording.
- Panel with Previous SETO/WPTO Awardees – ADL – Watch the recording.
- SBIR/STTR Technical Support – UACI
- Various Dates: Open Office Hours – ADL
Learn more about the Department of Energy’s current SBIR/STTR solicitation.
Water Power Technologies Office SBIR/STTR
Solar Energy Technologies Office SBIR/STTR