The Small Business Innovation Research/Small Business Technology Transfer (SBIR/STTR), known as “America’s Seed Fund,” provides nondilutive grants to small businesses to help them develop and commercialize technology innovations. The topics for the Department of Energy’s current solicitation are available to review now! The full Funding Opportunity Announcement will be released here on December 16.
The Clean Energy Business Network is a nationwide nonprofit that serves as the small business voice for the clean energy economy. Our team is working with the Department of Energy and Small Business Administration to help ensure that federal grant dollars for clean energy technology innovation and economic growth reach a more representative range of the U.S. population. We want to make sure every eligible applicant knows about these funding opportunities and receives the support needed to successfully compete for these funds. View the calendar of upcoming events.
FY23 SBIR/STTR Phase I Release 2 Timeline:
- November 7, 2022: Topics Available
- December 16, 2022: Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) Available
- January 3, 2023 at 5pm ET: Letter of Intent (LOI) Due
- January 24, 2023: Non-Responsiveness Feedback Provided
- February 21, 2023 at 11:35pm ET: Full Application Due
- May 15, 2023: Award Notification
Get a Head Start:
- Avoid the last-minute paperwork scramble. Register your business now with SAM, Grants.gov and PAMS so you’re ready to submit when the time comes.
FY23 Phase I Release 2 Information:
- November 7: Topics for funding are now available here under FY23 Phase I Release 2 Topics. Download the topics.
- December 12: the Funding Opportunity Announcement detailing the application process will be available here under FY23 Phase I Release 2 FOA Document
Find a full list of upcoming events here.
Department of Energy Webinars:
- November 15: Topics 1- 9 & 22-28.
- November 16: Topics 10 – 21.
- November 17: Topics 29 – 41.
- November 30: SETO Topics Webinar. Register now
- December 1: WPTO Topics Webinar. Register now
- December 16: DOE FOA Webinar*
*Registration links will be posted here one week prior to DOE events
Past Solicitation Power Connector Webinars:
- Watch recording: CEBN Office Hours: Getting a Head Start on Your Application
- Watch recording: CEBN Office Hours: Preparing your Application
- Watch recording: CEBN Office Hours: One Month Out; Password – SBIRapplicant22
- Watch recording: SBIR/STTR Webinar & Teaming Event; overview of the program, strategies for success, and opportunity to team up with partners
- Watch recording: UACI webinar on Understanding DOE SBIR/STTR Opportunities
- Watch recording: UACI webinar on Preparing Your Letter of Intent
- Watch recording: UACI webinar on Finding the Right Topics
Hydropower-Specific R&D Funding
The Department of Energy is offering $14.5 million through the Water Power Projects: Innovative Technologies to Enable Low Impact Hydropower and Pumped Storage Hydropower Growth in three topic areas. The first two topic areas will target innovative solutions to retrofit non-powered dams with hydropower and develop pumped storage hydro technologies. The third topic is for Emerging Research Institutions, particularly those supporting disadvantaged and/or underserved communities, such as HBCUs or MSIs. Brief concept papers are due Dec. 1, 2022, and full applications are due March 5, 2023.